Re: block-progression-dimension clarification (sorry for long post)

At 2011-05-24 19:46 +0200, Giuseppe Briotti wrote:
>Thanks Ken for your response. This is the core problem:
>
> > > 2. What I'm missing?
> >
> > There is no vertical justification in XSL-FO 1.1, this you cannot stretch
> > vertical content to be anything at all ... it is what it is.
>
>So probably the best (or the less worst :-D ) approach can be the following:
>
>1. evaluate the length of the raw text to be put in the cell.
>2. because the font is always the same, with some tests it is possible
>to create a simple (and not perfect) rule: number of chars -> stimated
>cell height
>3. adjust the stimated celle height accordingly to the required height
>of the whole table
>
>I will try it.

Seems sound to me ... as long as you are willing to accept errors in
calculations.  Remember that hyphenation may mess with your calculations.

>BTW I run your FO on FOP 0.95 and I noticed some difference.

I cannot comment on FOP.  I trust the Antenna House interpretation of
the specifications in all areas.  If I need the flexibility offered
by the differing values of the three components, it would not help me
to have all three components always set to the same value as it
appears from the PDF you attached that FOP is doing.

I use either Antenna House or RenderX or Ibex in the classroom when I
teach XSL-FO.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/