Re: fonts

On 12 June 2011 16:38, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 12:24 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/dstype/esta/ligatures/ shows
>> a variant of a font, this file containing ligatures.
>>
>> How might this be used in xsl-fo?
>
> In this particular case the ligatures are mapped to regular characters -
> for example, "a" is an fj ligature, b is ffj, c is fr, and so on. So you
> work out the text you want.
>
>>   Not a new 'family', just a variant?
> In this case you'll end up with an fo:inline around each ligature
> probably, setting the font explicitly. You'd probably have to tell the
> fo renderer that it was a different font family.

Which seems wrong somehow Liam? It is the same font-family.
Just an odd variant. Perhaps font-forge and add them there, somehow.

> The newer "approved" way for this to wor is via a single OpenType font
> with an opentype feature such as "CrazyLigatures" enabled, but FO 1 has
> no way to turn on such a feature except via implementation extensions.

I must admit I can't think of a reasonable syntax to use these,
or any other 'same font' inclusions.

Seems to be half way between the renderer and the stylesheet author
territory.

Anyone any suggestions?

regards

--