Re: Odd syntax? xsl-fo 1.1

At 2011-01-07 15:23 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
>7.17.4 "text-decoration"
>
>CSS2 Definition:
>Value:  none | [ [ underline | no-underline] || [ overline |
>no-overline ] || [ line-through | no-line-through ] || [ blink |
>no-blink ] ] | inherit
>

>When converted (laboriously) to a schema definition...
>It is long.
>It is (to me) largely incomprehensible.

That it is comprehensible by a schema processor is sufficient.  That
something that is required is awkward for the developer is irrelevant.

>I asked and received help from
>the rng list.
>
>There are a few examples of this...
>I wonder
>a) if xsd 1.1 can cope any better

Schematron assertion augmentations might be best I think, though I
haven't taken the time to draw it out.

>b) this complexity is needed.

It isn't complex.  To the user it is incredibly simple.  A set of
four mutually-exclusive pairs of values, or if not, one of two other values.

>c) If it is needed, could it be simplified in some way

Simplicity should be from the perspective of the user.  We
programmers have to take on the mantle of difficulty to make things
easy for the user.  I think making any decision to "simplify"
anything for technical reasons has to have zero impact on how the
user sees the issue.  If it impacts on how the user sees the issue,
it should be a non-starter.

We are here to serve our users.

If you technically simply that definition for the attribute, you will
change what it means to the user ... for example, if the technical
simplification allows, simultaneously, "none overline", the user is
poorly served by being allowed to enter something nonsensical.

The syntax is correct to meet the need, not "odd" ... the
implementation may need to be awkward to the developer to express
what the user needs.

I hope this helps.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/