Re: Is recto/verso always odd/even (not page numbering related)

On Fri, September 24, 2010 1:34 pm, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 13:10, Tony Graham
> <Tony.Graham@menteithconsulting.com> wrote:
>
>> Right/left and recto/verso are not the same as odd/even.  Right/left
>> has
>> to do with the binding edge, which is not well defined in XSL 1.1 but
>> should be better defined in XSL FO 2.0.
>
> I thought that the binding edge terms were 'inside' and 'outside' Tony?

'inside' and 'outside' alternates between right and left pages, and which
side of a piece of paper is on the left or right of a spread (leaving
aside everything to do with imposition) depends on which edge is the
binding edge.

If the binding edge is at the top [1], then there are no right or left pages.

>   Recto and verso mean the
>> right-hand and left-hand pages, respectively, except when they don't.
>
> Being a bit picky, isn't recto ('right/correct') the right hand side
> simply
> because it's the 'front' of the paper, and verso is the 'back' of the page
> which is only the left hand page when put into book form? I think thats
> what I was told eons ago.

>From the OED, 'recto' is Latin for 'on the right'.  It's what I first
learned my own eons ago and the usage with which I am most familiar, but
there are evidently people who use 'recto' to mean 'front'.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1]
http://www.cip4.org/documents/jdf_specifications/html/Resources.html#0_pgfId-2121179
   The 'calendar' format on the right of figure 7-20 has the binding
   edge at the top and, arguably, doesn't have 'right' and 'left' pages
   but could have 'odd' and 'even' pages.  (Shows up much better in
   the PDF version of the JDF spec, but the PDF is harder to link
   into.)