Re: absolute font-size for fonts/margins/graphics

On Mon, Feb 08 2010 16:11:24 +0000, armyofda12mnkeys@gmail.com wrote:
> So I specify the page-width and height for a document as 8.5in by 11in.
> Now how would you specify:
>
> 1. fonts, margins/padding, content height (seems not naturally to specify those
> in subfractions of an in/cm)?
> All in an absolute; like pixels or points is fine (does it matter which one?
> since both are absolute I beleive)...

Use whatever you are most comfortable using.  Points are the most
conventional.

Using pixels is not such a good idea.  The XSL 1.1 spec [1] says:

   Stylesheet authors should understand a pixel's actual size may vary
   from device to device:

    * stylesheets utilizing 'px' units may not produce consistent
      results across different implementations or different output
      devices from a single implementation

    * even if stylesheets are expressed entirely in 'px' units the
      results may vary on different devices

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#pixels