Re: conditional page break

On Thu, Oct 22 2009 09:06:11 +0100, John.Virgo@xerox.com wrote:
> I've had the same problem in a long running project (2 years) that I am still
> working.
>
> I call this problem 'layout feedback', or lack of. The problem is there is
> no accurate way of determining if 'block A fits' into any area until the FO
> has been laid out so your XSL will not be able to make the decision.

To unofficially wear my other hat for a moment, please consider
reviewing the XSL 2.0 Requirements at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20-req/
to see whether they cover your problem.  You may particularly want to
look at Section 2.3, "Feedback from pagination stage", and Section 3.1,
"Including information from formatting time".

The Requirements document encourages providing comments and feedback on
individual requirements using the W3C Bugzilla system at
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/.  See the instructions at
http://www.w3.org/XML/2008/01/xsl-fo-bugzilla.html#comment

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2