Re: Creating PDF/A-1b with FOP

Please make sure you've read the documentation at:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/stable/pdfa.html

The base-14 fonts are "virtual" fonts. They are not embedded (only
referenced) in the PDF and are usually replaced by the PDF viewer with
another similar-looking font. That's why PDF/A says that all fonts have
to be embedded. The idea is to make sure the end-result looks the same
with every PDF viewer. If you want to use "Helvetica" you will need to
obtain a Helvetica font and configure it normally for embedding with FOP
as documented on the website. Of course, you can also use "Arial" or
whatever font you want but you might have to explicitely set the
font-family to that font name (best on fo:root to avoid the default
font-family to creep in and still cause this exception).

BTW, the main Apache FOP support forum is the fop-users mailing list:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/gethelp.html

HTH

On 16.10.2008 02:24:14 Peter Newman wrote:

> Hi
>
> I want to play around with the PDF/A capabilities of FOP but am having
> trouble with getting a basic test file working.
>
> Is there an example somewhere to demonstrate how this works?
>
> I tried using the footnote simple example for testing (using the current
> trunk version)
>
>  $   fop -fo simple.fo -pdfa1b simple.pdf
>
> which returns this error:
>  org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFConformanceException: For PDF/A-1b, all fonts,
> even the base 14 fonts, have to be embedded! Offending font:
> /Helvetica-Bold
>
> I tried to figure out how to embed base-14 fonts for a while but they
> seem to be built into the source code so got stuck there.  Should they
> be embedded automatically?
>
> Any tips would be great!
>
> Regards
> Pete
>
> Peter Newman
> Library Technology Coordinator
> Library and Information Access
> Charles Darwin University
> PO Box 41246 (Ellengowan Drive)
> Casuarina NT 0811
> Australia
> Ph: +61 (0)8 8946 7026
> Mob: +61 (0)423 535 065
> Fax: +61 (0)8 8945 1317
> Email: Peter.Newman@cdu.edu.au.nospam (remove the dot nospam)

Best regards,
Jeremias Märki
Jeremias Märki, Software-Development and Consulting
Contact Information: http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/contact.html
Blog: http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/blog/