Re: 'scale-to-fit' in both directions

On Tue, Aug 21 2007 10:23:01 +0100, john@pixware.fr wrote:
> Tony Graham wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 17 2007 12:19:30 +0100, john@pixware.fr wrote:
>>>I would have expected the content size to match exactly the viewport
>>>size, possibly leading to non-uniform scaling. It seems that XEP has a
>>>different interpretation, as it preserves the original aspect ratio
>>>(see attached PDF). Is that the correct behaviour? (This is the result
>>>I would expect with 'content-width' set to 'auto' instead of
>>>scale-to-fit').
>>
>> Add 'scaling="non-uniform"': the initial value of 'scaling' is
>> 'uniform'.  See
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#scaling
>
> Right, but I used to think that the 'scaling' property was meaningful
> only when 'content-width' or 'content-height' was set to 'auto'. Since
> XEP yields the same result with 'content-width="5in"' and
> content-height"2in"' I was probably wrong, but still it seems a bit
> strange to me that 'scaling' be relevant when both 'content-width' and
> content-height' are explicitly specified.

'content-height', 'content-width', 'scaling', and 'scaling-method' are
all "extended" conformance level properties.

The definition of 'scaling-method' [1] indicates that 'content-height',
'content-width' and 'scaling' interact.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com   http://www.menteithconsulting.com

Menteith Consulting Ltd             Registered in Ireland - No. 428599
Menteith Consulting -- Understanding how markup works

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#scaling-method