Re: How to vertically center text and image?

At 2003-03-26 14:22 +0100, mes@komma.zedat.fu-berlin.de wrote:
>Hi,
>
>my text is smaller as image,
>how can i vertically center the text?
>Example:
>Text . Image . Text

An interesting challenge!

>but not
>
>Text ......... Text
>      . Image .

XSL-FO "sits" graphics on top of lines oriented along the text ... not the
other way around .... so I wouldn't have expected what you drew above, I
always witness:

      . Image .
Text ......... Text

Using alignment-adjust you can change the default use of the text baseline
for the bottom of the image, to be any other baseline for the bottom of the
image ... but the image still sits *on top* of the given baseline.

I then noted that a length can be used for alignment-adjust ... but this
means you will have to know a priori what the height of your graphic is.

I've attached the result shown for the following:

   <block space-before="1cm" font-size="20pt">
     -2cm : with a long enough sentence that will wrap to the next line
      in such a nature
     <external-graphic alignment-adjust="-2cm"
       src='url("tight.bmp")'/>
     to show how the text interacts with the image that has been aligned
   </block>

which gets you the result, but not by "vertically centring the text" which
is what you asked for.  I don't think there is a way to "vertically centre
the text" ... I think you have to "vertically centre the graphic" by
knowing the height of the graphic.

An interesting task!

I hope this helps.

................. Ken
--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO
                              North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO