RE: Page X of Y

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Al-Dhahir, Haitham wrote:

> <fo:layout-master-set>
>
> 	<fo:page-sequence-master master-name="seq-master">
> 		<fo:repeatable-page-master-alternatives>
> 			<fo:conditional-page-master-reference
> page-position="first" master-name="first"/>
> 			<fo:conditional-page-master-reference
> page-position="rest" master-name="rest"/>

Above, the attribute master-name= should be master-reference=

An helpful mnemonic: name when introduced (defined), otherwise reference.

> The idea is that "HEADING TEXT FOR PAGES AFTER PAGE 1" will appear at the
> top of page 2, but not on page 1. However, when I try to convert this into
> PDF using the FOP renderer, Xalan throws a TransformerException and FOP then
> throws a NullPointerException. I have tried converting using the example XSL
> at http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect3/evenodd.html and even then the same
> error is thrown. Can anyone help? Is there anything obviously wrong with my
> use of page-sequence-master in the above XSL?

The error from FOP can be generated when your stylesheet points to a
property which is not appropriate to a particular object.  The
TransformerException from Xalan is just a wrapper, could be XPath errors,
well-formedness or configuration issues.

I think Mr. Pawson's example is broken on the following line:

   <fo:page-sequence master-name="chapter-master">

which should be:

   <fo:page-sequence master-reference="chapter-master">

An unfortunate coincidence of errors.

Mike Haarman
mhaarma@socsci.umn.edu