Re: FO preprocessor

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 jordibuj@badalona.vilaweb.com wrote:

> I'm writing some kind of "merge" preprocessor for a FO
> document.

If I understand your requirements, I am wondering why.  XSLT is the
canonical preprocessor for FO.  These requirements are routinely fulfilled
by wrapping your query results in XML and incorporating them into a static
instance describing the structure of the report via XSLT and the document
function.

> Sometimes it is desirable to generate non-merged documents
> so I might write a FOP extension to cope with mrg tags.

Again, a next to trivial application of XSLT.

> Question would be: experienced FO guys would say that this
> is a good approach?

It might be a useful exercise for the student, but for a production
system a standard application of the tools solves these problems.

> *jordi

Mike Haarman
mhaarma@socsci.umn.edu