Re: xsl-fo first anniversary

Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

 > Hello!
 >
 > xsl-fo is 1 year old now, congratulations to editors, implementors,
 > developers and users!

Absolutely! Here's what I say in my XML 2002 paper on the subject of
using XSL FO for production use (discussing ISOGEN's recent experience
in the context of my 15-year dream of doing print production from
structured markup):

"There were some tense moments along the way, and a few late nights, but
I can report that we were successful in developing an FO-based solution
that does everything we need it to, at a lower implementation cost,
lower software cost, and lower maintenance cost, than the system we
replaced. At the time of writing, October 2002, all technical issues
relating to the formatting requirements and the functionality of the FO
implementation used have been resolved (and all but a couple small
issues had been resolved by May of 2002) and the system is ready for
production use. From this experience I am confident not only that XSL FO
can be safely used to do high-quality print production of XML documents
but that it is without question a superior solution to anything I have
used in the past, as long as you can satisfy your page layout requirements."

Congratulations to the XSL FO working group for having produced a
specification of remarkable value and clarity. For many of the members
of the working group it represents the culimination of at least two
decades of very hard and trying work toward this goal.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com