Re: Pagination of original documents

Matthias,

The response on fop-user@xml.apache.org was an interesting idea; thanks for
the link.  I appreciate the difficulty presented by the intersection of
nineteenth century legal requirements and twenty-first century technology.

Are you matching pagination of original source material or does the document
*blueline* at a certain point, beyond which pagination is fixed?  Is there a
requirement to maintain page numbers when depth of content would otherwise
force pagination?

I have in the past built pages of absurd depth and used an element to key
pagination:

<page-break sequence="12"/>

If pagination of the source must be honored, the element can be introduced
at the time the XML is originally generated/converted.  This element can be
caught by an XSLT template and generate an appropriate fo:block kicking a
page and setting a page number directly.

If it is the case that the document bluelines and pagination must then
freeze, some fairly heavy duty hacking is called for.  There is not yet a
mechanism for the formatting objects processor to *talk back* to the source
document.  The referenced post to fop-users probably represents a decent
start toward a solution.  The alternative is to manually walk through the
source with the bluelined version and introducing pagination elements by
hand.

Mike