Re: Suspending page numbering

At 2002-11-13 15:40 -0500, Gupta, Deepak wrote:
>I do not believe there is any technical reason why the FO spec could not
>be updated to provide the functionality via, for example a property such as :-
>
><fo:page-sequence master-name="title" page-count="suspend">
>
><fo:page-sequence master-name="section" page-count="resume">
>
>Please let me know if this would not be technically feasible & if not why ?

Hey, anything is possible ... it is just a simple matter of software.

Requirements for chartering a new effort for XSL-FO 2.0 will be gladly and
appreciatively received by the XSL Working Group at xsl-editors@w3.org (I'm
not a member myself) ... they need to know what people need in order to
propose a shopping list of features for the next version.  When weighing
all that is wanted with the objectives and schedules for development, they
will be able to determine what is feasible for the next version.

Your (everybody's!) input is needed for the process.

>If you could reference the answer to the source of FOP, all the better :-)

I'm not involved at all with FOP either ... vendor extensions are a way of
getting around waiting for the XSL committee to finalize new functionality,
but taking advantage of extensions kills the benefit of tool
independence.  You might propose such an extension to the team for them to
consider.

I hope this helps.

........................... Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO:
-                             North America:  Feb 3 - Feb 7,2003

G. Ken Holman               mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.        http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                     Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                             Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-10-1             Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Next conference training:                    2002-12-08,03-03,06