Re: problem with page-numbering

jkirmse@w3.org wrote:
> hi
> i have a problem with the page-numbering.
> is it possible to calculate with
> fo:page-number and fo:page-number-citation so that
> i do something like this:
>
> <fo:page-number-citation/> - (<fo:page-number/> - 1) ???

Yes. fo:page-number can go anywhere.

> the other question: is it possible to
> put fo:page-number in <xsl:variable/>  ???

You can put the literal element <fo:page-number> in a variable, but I
don't think that's what you're asking for.

The page number won't be known until the FO instance generated by the
XSLT is rendered--thus the XSLT can have no knowledge of what pages a
given element being generated might fall on. This is a fundamental
aspect of XSL that is an unavoidable side effect of it's generality.

However, it is possible in theory for FO implementations to enable the
generation of data files that map input XML or FO element instances to
page numbers. This data could then be fed back into a second pass to
make the initial XSLT process page-number aware. XEP already has some
extensions that could be used for this.

But, if you simply want to reflect the page number of a given FO
construct, you should be able to do it with fo:page-number or
fo:page-number-citation without restriction or limitation.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com