Re: newbie: setting inline widths using FOP?

to achieve what you want you could use fo:leader, with the white space
leader pattern and place a new leader between each bit of text.

something like :

<fo:block>
         <fo:inline>the first bit of text</fo:inline>
         <fo:leader leader-length="20mm" leader-pattern="space" />
         <fo:inline>the second bit of text</fo:inline>
         <fo:leader leader-pattern="space" leader-length="20mm" />
         <fo:inline>the third bit of text</fo:inline>
</fo:block>

of course, this does not handle the case where the line length is exceeded.
some of your text will then go off the current line.

Cyril