Re: Changing Pages Based on Content?

At 2002-08-08 19:47 -0400, Peter Andrew Abolins wrote:
>I am trying to create a report with account information on it, with the
>following properties:
>* If the Account Information does not fit on the one page, then the page
>needs to be ended between two sub-accounts (ie a sub-account section cannot
>be split across two pages), with a Page Total.

Up until your need for a page total, I could see the shape of everything
that you needed.  If you replaced "Page Total" with "Running Total", then
you could play with markers and I think you could achieve everything you
were asking for.

However, to get a page total, your XSLT needs to know what shows up on a
page, but in the XSL processing model the transformation is arms-length
from the formatting.  Your stylesheet doesn't know where the formatter
introduces page breaks ... if you wanted to try and control them you could
use page breaks in the flow, but your XSLT won't know where the natural
breaks are in order to guess where to put them.

................ Ken

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:
-                               North America:  Sep 30-Oct  4,2002

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1                Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:           2002-08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03,07,10