Re: XSL FO and the generation of "change bars"

Jim Melton writes:
 > As some of you may know, I am responsible for producing a series of
 > documents (the ISO SQL standard) that is frequently updated and distributed
 > to a largish group of people for on-going development work.  Change bars
 > are essential to allow participants to readily see what has changed amongst
 > about 2,000 pages of text.  I am currently producing these documents using
 > DECdocument, but am in the process of converting them to XML, producing PDF
 > via XSL FO (using RenderX's XEP product).

I cannot see how you are going to get this with XSL FO as it stands, I
too shall be interested to see if anyone has a good answer. In the
short term, I would implement it using processing instructions, and
persuade your renderer to recognize them. One *could* argue that this
(PIs) is in fact the correct way to work anyway.

PassiveTeX would work in this way, it would just need some simple code
to map the PIs to the apppropriate bit of raw TeX.

Mind you, change bars are a pig at the best of times.

Sebastian