RE: line thickness

Actually, apropos and all that, may I refer you all to a thread currently
developing over on www-svg@w3.org where I'm putting my opinion forward that
'device' space units should not be used, or at least, should not be your
first choice. I suggest that real-world values be used, and let the
implementation and device and OS sort out how pixels map to the result. If
people specify pixels in media that could end up being printed as easily as
it could be found on screen or television, then that exposes to the danger
that some devices will take it literally and not give you what you thought
you wanted.

(Re: Question on spec, if you're going to hunt for the messages)

I remember a decade ago, a certain version of the Harlequin RIP, on an Ultre
imagesetter engine, that decided that all QuarkXpress 'hairlines' should
equal one device pixel (as it does on an Apple Laserwriter of the day). The
result was that people's hairlines were disappearing, but actually on closer
inspection, there was a thin streak of 1200dpi single pixel line only just
showing up (and no chance of making it through repro!). The next version of
the RIP fixed that behaviour, but it just goes to show.

Cheers. Ian Tindale