Re: page break

At 01/06/25 10:30 +0100, David Carlisle wrote:

> > When would an fo:float float past the end of the flow?  Does it not float
> > to the top of the page in which the float is defined, a
>
>surely it's allowed on subsequent pages as well? (It would be of limited
>use otherwise) isn't that what  the part you quoted implies?
>
>  (b) is descendant
>    from the same page containing the anchor-area, or from a page
>    following that page.
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not disputing what it says, David, I just don't understand when it
applies.  That was why I quoted the above in my own post.

And I don't dispute there are conditions where a page of floats are
generated by the references to a float.

But where in the rules does it specify when a float gets positioned on the
page following that page?  Is that determined by the implementation and
just blanketly allowed by the quote above?  I'm trying to document to the
stylesheet writer what they can do to control (influence?) the positioning
of floats.

Since I am floating something to the "before-float" area, I anticipate the
float to appear before the content surrounding the definition of the
float.  I would have thought to use some text such as "see above", and
lived with the fact if the "above" happened on the page before (which it
cannot based on what David has highlighted).  Now, I see that the float
could be rendered "above" or "below" the point where it is defined.

That leads us to the prior discussion of using the identifier of an empty
block at the end of the flow for an indication of the last page ... if
floats appear after the flow then the last page isn't at all guaranteed.  I
cannot even float an identifier on an empty block at the end of the flow
because of 6.10.1.3 "The before-float-reference-area is generated only if
the page contains one or more areas with area-class "xsl-before-float"."
because that technique would produce an empty area of class
"xsl-before-float", thus triggering any static content assigned to
xsl-before-float-separator when the last page could very well not have any
before floats.

Thanks for all the input to this discussion.

--
G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/f/

Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-10-01/05