RE: [p1][p2] vs. [p1 and p2]

I see no ambiguity, I see no typo. What exactly is your problem with the
text in the specification? It gives two examples p[b][n] and p[n][b] and
explains that they have different meanings: exactly the same point that you
start out with.

Are you suggesting that the [child] you have put in square brackets is a
typo? I don't see that word in the original text.

You have muddied the waters by using  //e[p1][3] as your example. //p[3]
does not select the third p element in the document, it selects every p
element that is the third p child of its parent. None of the examples that
you cite from the spec uses "//", so they do not have this problem.

Michael Kay