RE: Paper on symmetry of XPath axes

Many thanks for forwarding this paper, I think it's an excellent
contribution to the state of the art in XPath optimization (and also a good
improvement on the draft that you sent me privately).

Am I right in thinking that you don't address the problem of positional
predicates on a reverse axis, the typical example being
preceding-sibling::h2[1]? I suspect these can be tackled by an extended
version of your algorithm, but it seems to me they aren't handled correctly
by the rewrite rules you currently define.

I'm also uncertain about the extent of applicability of these rewrite rules.
Certainly one can envisage a scenario in which it's valuable to be able to
evaluate a single XPath expression in a single forwards scan of a document.
I'm not sure how well this extrapolates to a scenario like XSLT, where there
are many XPath expressions, each one starting at nodes selected by previous
XPath evaluations.

Neverthless, this is a very valuable contribution to the repertoire of
techniques available, so thanks for making it available.

Mike Kay