AW: Definition of step

	[wl]  This is a decision of the WG.

> Also this suggestion seems to lose the convenience of the
> abbreviations.  For example, being able to use simply
>
>   foo
>
> to select all foo children, or
>
>  foo/bar

	what is

	   child

	selct all children of all children with GID=child

	[wl]  Well this is true. But isn't abbreviation a syntax of its own?
In XML we have overcome omittag and shorttag because of all the problems
occuring with such abbreviaions.

	As a consequence, i think there should be some indicator turning
into abbreviated - or expaded mode. Obviously, abbreviated mode does not
support all details. The indicator could for example be the step separator.
"/" is abbreviation, "." is explicit syntax.

	then one can write

	/foo/bar:3

	.child[?foo].child[?bar]:3

	you could even use

	/foo .child[?bar &@myatt==="foobar"]/nextfoo/nextbar

	It could be that there must be spaces to isolate the operators from
valid XML names.

[wl]

Regards/Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Bernhard Weichel              Phone:  (49) 711 811 8322
Robert Bosch GmbH               Fax:  (49) 711 811 260073
Dept. K3/EMW4                 eMail:  bernhard.weichel@de.bosch.com
P.O. Box 30 02 40
D-70442 Stuttgart
	Germany