Re: element() scheme should return Element Node only or any kind of node?

Bill Han wrote:
> Hi,
>   Question: element() scheme should return
>    1. Element Node only?
>    2. Any kind of node?
>    3. Any kind of node except for whitespace node plus ...?

element nodes only

>   Backgroud: in Harold test suite, metafallbacktest5.xml, element(/1/1)
> returns Text Node ("fallback text" string).

I'm not sure it does, Could you please cite the IDs of the tests you're
running? The only place I see the file you cite is in harold-26 which is
an error test:

     <testcase id="harold-26" href="metafallbacktest5.xml"
            type="error">
   <contributor>Elliotte Rusty Harold</contributor>
   <section resource="http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#fallback">4.4</section>
       <date qualifier="created">31-Aug-2004</date>
   <description>The XPointer does not select anything in the acquired
infoset, but does select something in the source infoset.</description>
  </testcase>

That is, it should not generate any output at all.

It sounds like you're not consulting the catalog. The file names and the
presence or absence of particular files in the output directory do not
indicate the correct output. The expected output for processing foo.xml
is not necessarily foo.xml; it may be bar.xml or nothing at all.
Furthermore bar.xml may be the output for foo.xml, bar.xml, and several
other tests. The only way to tell is to look in the catalog file.