Re: Normalize newlines when parse="text"?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:14:47AM -0700, Mike Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a quick question about XIncludes. When processing an xi:include
> element with parse="text", must newlines in the included document be
> normalized to LF? I was having trouble finding any definitive info on
> this in the XInclude, Infoset and Character Model specs.

XInclude states:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#text-included-items
------
  Each character obtained from the transformation of the resource is
  represented in the top-level included items as a character information
  item with the character code set to the character code in ISO 10646
  encoding, and the element content whitespace set to false.
------

Both character of code point 0xa and 0xd are in the range allowed by
the Char production of the XML spec and won't raise errors.

The "transformation is defined by the character model:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod-norm/#sec-TextNormalization

which doesn't state anything about end of line or new line "normalization".

As a result I expect conformant XInclude processors to not normalize newline
characters sequences in include processed with parse="text".

Daniel

daniel@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/
http://veillard.com/ |