RE: URIs that end in # but don't have fragment IDs

We interpret the productions in 2396 as allowing a fragment identifier
to be zero length, in which case the # serves to signal its existence.
So whenever # appears, there is a fragment identifier, and a fatal error
must result.

We've added the following note of clarification:

"Note:
  A URI ending in # is considered by [IETF RFC 2396] to have an empty
fragment identifier. Such a URI would result in a fatal error as
described above."

We hope this satisfies your comment, please let us know promptly if it
does not.