Re: The encoding attr should trigger Accept-Charset

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> The requirement should have the same requirement level as processing of
> the accept and accept-language attributes. The document currently ack-
> nowledges that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances
> to ignore the item; I did not mean to suggest that adding Accept-Charset
> was more important than the other headers.

encoding is qualitatively different from accept and accept-language. The
idea behind accept and accept-language is that a resource might have
significantly different representations based on the values of these
headers. Therefore accept and accept-language enable document authors to
specify which representation they want. For instance, if I'm writing a
document in French I might want to request the French version of a page
rather than the English one.

There used to be an accept-charset as well but that was taken out. The
encoding attribute provides a way for document authors to tell the
XInclude processor what encoding a given document is written in. It's
not really the same thing at all.