Re: Catalogs and XInclude

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 05:48:08AM -0500, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

> Has any thought been given to how XML catalogs
> <http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html> do or
> do not interact with XInclusion? Specifically should/should
> not/may/must? the catalog be consulted when figuring out where to load a
> document referenced by an xinclude:include element?
>
> Right now I'm trying to add basic catalog support to my XIncluder engine
> for Java. So far, in practice, this just affects the DTD, but since it's
> implemented through a SAX EntityResolver it could potentially affect
> anything loaded by the parser; that is, anything loaded when
> parse="xml". For consistency, you might want the same catalog used when
> parse="text"? Or would you? I've just stumbled across this issue, and
> I'm not at all sure what's appropriate here.

Speaking just as the implementor of the libxml2 toolkit, I can just say
that I plugged the catalog resolution mechanism at a very low level
in the software stack. As a result any resource lookup usually
end up being checked against the current catalog(s) if present. The
only exception being the catalog data themselves. As a result in that
framework XInclude is being checked against the catalog, and has been
since I implemented both. So far no user questionned this, but I can't
back it up by any formal resolution, somewhat my viewpoint is that
since the processus is uniform (i.e. catalogs are always checked),
users can build expectations, and so far they were not surprized
since they didn't complained about it :-)

Daniel