RE: setting attributes in XML Inclusions (XInclude) Version 1.0 / W3C Working Draft 17-July-2000

The issue resolution (you can poke through the XML version to find it) says:

"The syntax is messy. Is it really a requirement to be able to "include
into" the value of an attribute? You can't do that with XML 1.0 and
(external) entity references. No clear use cases."

I think that including attributes or part/all of an attribute value is
difficult without introducing non-XML syntax.  XSLT's attribute value
templates are an example.  The syntactic complexity is immense, while the
benefits seem limited.  Simply a cost-benefit judgement call.