RE: What happens to embedded stylesheets

No.

Because

1) an XInclude processor is not supposed to know about specifics of certain
PIs,

2) you might actually want to do something with the PI later -- maybe you
use Xinclude to put something into a container tag, and later it gets
extracted into a standalone XML document again. Then you certainly want to
preserve the PI.

Julian