RE: What happens to embedded stylesheets

Martin Bryan wrote:
> Its one thing to make the bald statement that the question of
> included stylesheets is
> >Outside the scope of XInclude, in any case...
> but another altogether to deliberately ignore my question

I certainly did not mean to either make bald statements nor to ignore your
question.  (If so, a lack of reply would probably have been simpler :-)
Instead I tried to point out that your question makes invalid assumptions.

> > > If they are
> > > embedded must action be taken to restore the stylesheet in
> > > force prior to the inclusion when its final node is returned?
>
> The problem is that if these PIs are included, and no further
> action is taken, the stylesheet would seem to remain in force
> for those elements in the document containing the inclusion
> that follow the inclusion element My point is that you need
> to state something about the scoping of stylesheet PIs (which
> are specific to XML, not specific to any other application),
> or at very least warn people of the potential dangers.

At the risk of being accused of ignoring your question, I repeat: Inclusion
as defined in XInclude has nothing to do with styling.  It is a tree-level
operation.  Processing instructions in general are specific to XML.  The
xml-stylesheet processing instruction is specific to XML browsers.  You can
verify that the xml-stylesheet pi is not treated specially in the infoset
either.

Another way to say it is, if you can tell me what this means...

  <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="style1.xsl"?>
  <alpha>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="style2.xsl"?>
    <beta/>
  </alpha>

...then you've answered your own question about what this means...

  <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="style1.xsl"?>
  <alpha>
    <xml:include href="file.xml"/>
  </alpha>

file.xml:

  <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="style2.xsl"?>
  <beta/>

Note that I don't have a good answer for you about what this means.  The
stylesheet pi rec states: "The xml-stylesheet processing instruction is
allowed only in the prolog of an XML document."  So I would expect the
nested pis to either generate an error or be ignored, but only when being
interpreted by a browser.  This is not an XML nor inclusion error.

Hope this helps.

- Jonathan