RE: What happens to embedded stylesheets

By stylesheet calls I assume you mean stylesheet processing instructions.
XInclude operates at the infoset level, and stylesheet "calls" of whatever
form are not recognized as such at this level.  Inclusion of a complete
document with a stylesheet (or any other kind of) processing instruction
will result in the processing instruction being copied over, but the meaning
of the stylesheet pi in this context is unclear.  Outside the scope of
XInclude, in any case...

If you want inclusion capability on a level that can take stylesheets into
account, XLink's show="embed" seems like the right technology to use.  It is
vague enough about what embedding means to handle stylesheets.  I think the
implication is that embedded content should retain it's own separate styling
information.