Re: Comment on XSD 1.1

Mukul Gandhi wrote:
> From what I could gather from your current proposal, you seem to say that:
> We have some good Schema languages like RelaxNG and Schematron, other
> than XSD. You are suggesting, that we shouldn't move from XSD 1.0 to
> XSD 1.1 but instead develop a new schema language say, X which has
> best of all worlds. I totally agree with this.
No, "the best of all worlds" is nothing like my proposal.

And suggesting that this should have been raised for XSD 1.1 is a bit
rich: it was explicitly taken off the table for XSD 1.1 wasn't it?   The
reason I am raising this to the TAG rather than the W3C WG (the
individuals in which I respect, despite my frank comments)  is that I
think the committee process has manifestly broken down, for whatever
reason. A committee that still, after 8 years, has not even been able to
*start* looking at what is clearly the most pressing issue is clearly
disfunctional to the point that its product cannot be given the benefit
of the doubt. XSD 1.1 may even entrench the problem rather than make it
easier to dig out of, but XSD 1.1 should only be done in the context of
getting a simplified XSD.

What James Clark said* in 2001 at the W3C plenary in Boston when he
pointed has proved accurate: "little short of a disaster." XML Schemas
Structures is "overly complex, yet lacking in expressive power."  What
other standard had to have workshops to try to figure out why
implementations were so ratty? What other standard has a W3C TR listing
the parts that are safe to use for one of the leading applications?
What other standard has had such constant negative comment?

We need something simpler.

And since the issue-by-issue approach has failed, I propose a method
based on a practical agenda, so that the WG has enough direction that
there is a possibility of a result: first make a standard (say, XSD
Lite) that is the intersection of XSD and RELAX NG, and that pretty much
sits between the hull and kernel provided by the W3C Databinding
patterns TRs, building on RELAX NG semantic and XSD syntax. Put that
out, recommending it as the schema language of choice for small, fixed
documents and small projects especially a new target for databinding.

Then fold whatever minor syntax changes this requires into XSD 1.1 which
can then go ahead. If I had my druthers, XSD 1.1 should be reformulated
in terms of adding type, reference and assertion apparatus to XSD Lite
(i.e. on top of restricted RELAX NG semantics) before being released,
but that certainly would be a large editorial effort.

The XML Schema WG has rather laid itself open to the charge that it is
pandering only to the needs of those who want value-adds and tweaks, to
the XQuery community for example, at the detriment of the rest of us.
But the needs for XQuery and typed XSLT are niche requirements, they are
simply not mainstream requirements even if you only look at the
commercial uses.  It is great if XSD 1.1 turns out to be the perfect
technology for this niche.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe
* http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1097