Re: Comment on XSD 1.1

Original Message From: "Rick Jelliffe"
To: <www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org>; <www-tag@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:25 PM
Subject: Comment on XSD 1.1

> In concrete terms, I propose this:
>
> 1) A radically simpler schema language, compatible as much as a possible
> with the current XSD 1.0 syntax, be created. It should have the following
> properties:

>     v) It should have no constraints or requirements for streamable
> implementation
>
> 2) A secondary layer which adds:
>     iii) Features problematic for databinding and to allow streaming
> validation would be allowed

I'm not sure how a base layer that is not streamable can have a layer added
to it that makes it streamable.  Am I missing something?

And my two cents on other issues...
- Restricting the range of integers and length/patterns of strings seems
useful for the base layer.
- I don't think arbitrary values for minOccurs/maxOccurs (as opposed is ?, ,
*, and +) are a problem.

Which really points to different people wanting different things so
sub-setting XSD into layers is going to be a problem.  It's probably best to
start afresh.  I that respects I agree with Michael's sentiments of letting
XSD 1.1 go forwards and then working on something new.

Thanks,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic Ltd
Interface XML to C++ the easy way using XML C++
data binding to convert XSD schemas to C++ classes.
Visit http://codalogic.com/lmx/ for more info