Re: XML Schema 1.1: Open Issues?

* Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>[...]

Thanks for the update and addressing some of the minor issues I've
pointed out. I look forward to a more detailed response by the Working
Group that covers issues you didn't discuss in your response.

>The Bugzilla entries for XML Schema cover all three parts of the spec
>(Primer, Structures and Datatypes) and also both 1.0 candidate errata
>as well as 1.1 candidate features.  Only Part 2 (Datatypes) has
>advanced to last call at the moment.  You can use Advanced Search to
>restrict what you see to only comments relevant to the recenly
>pubished Part 2 Last Call WD [1].

Yes, the confusion is rather caused by the considerable number of open
issues regarding XML Schema Part 2 in the issue tracker, for example,

>> Regarding my earlier XML Schema 1.1 issue,
>>
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2006JanMar/0045.html
>
>The is entered as bug 2075 [2].

the "bug 2075" affects text that is in the last call document. I note
that the issue above and the bug you refer to are entirely unrelated.

>> The next note in the SotD is
>>
>>   The end of the Last Call review period is 31 March 2006; comments
>>   received after that date will be considered if time allows, but no
>>   guarantees can be offered.
>>
>> It is not clear to me what this means.
>
>It means just what specifying a Last Call review period always means
>- -- comments received after 31 March 2006 may not be addressed in the
>next version of this document to be published.  That's all.

It then seems you are trying to say

  comments received after the Working Group filed a Transition Request
  for advancement to Candidate Recommendation but before publication of
  the Candidate Recommendation will be formally addressed either as
  comments on the LCWD or as comments on the CR.

As the Working Group seems to be concerned that this exceptional case is
properly communicated to reviewers, I would recommend the XML Schema
Working Group files an issue on the Process document to add text as the
text I suggest above and then link to the Process document instead.

What you say above would still be confusing as it could be read to
suggest the Working Group is free to consider any comment received after
the end of the review period as comments on the CR, which isn't the case
if the Transition Request isn't filed immediately after the end of the
review period. I think this is quite clear already,

  Ordinarily, reviewers SHOULD NOT raise substantive technical issues
  about a technical report after the end of a Last Call review period.
  However, this does occur, and as stated above, a Working Group's
  requirement to formally address those issues extends until the start
  of a Proposed Recommendation review period.