Re: XSD 1.1 issue: when did timezones cease being durations?

At 1:48 PM -0800 050301, Mary Holstege wrote:

>At the risk of provoking Dave to shouting and expletives again,
>I have to say that with equal justice all these arguments apply
>to using an integer to represent a timezone.

Sorry.  The expletives were a personal matter involving frustration
over and above this dialog, and only with one person.

>>(The reason I say they treat timezones as integers is that they
>>ignore the structure of dayTimeDuration values, and pretend they
>>are simply integers.)
>
>I find this an incredible statement. All the functions that take
>timezone arguments or produce timezones return durations, not integers.

I haven't seen latest drafts, but I understood from earlier ones that they
treated the values of each of the derived totally-ordered durations as single
integers or decimal numbers as appropriate--as opposed to a pair of numbers,
requiring one or the other number to be 0.  I hope that you understand that
when I say "integer" or "decimal number" in this sense, I'm not talking
about things-specified-to-be-in-the-value-space-of-the-integer-datatype or
...-the-decimal-datatype respectively, but rather the standard numbers
of mathematics which we use to populate several datatype value spaces
and several other datatype value-property value collections.  (Just as
things in the lexical spaces are character strings but are not
things-specified-to-be-in-the-value-space-of-the-string-datatype.)
--
Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@iit.edu