RE: XSD 1.1 issue: when did timezones cease being durations?

At 11:22 AM -0800 050301, Ashok Malhotra wrote:
>Dave:
>Two points.
>
>1.  I don't understand why timezones are not durations.  Surely, 5
>hours and 30 minutes is
>a duration or a dayTimeDuration.  You can argue that timezones are a
>subtype of dayTimeDuration
>with special rules for arithmetic.

And you can argue that if you change the arithmetic, then it's no longer
a subtype.  Of course, you not only need different arithmetic but also
different lexical and canonical mappings.  By that time, you've changed
almost everything.

>2.  F&O changed it behavior as of this morning.  The timezone
>component is now stored as
>a dayTimeDuration e.g.  PT5h30m.

If that means you've stored one integer that is a multiple of 60 between
-50400 and 50400, rather than storing one integer between -840 and 840,
then we're quite close--I don't see that it matters much.  But a
dayTimeDuration value is not an integer, it's a pair of integers.  Is
that really what you want to store?
--
Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!