Re: XSD vs ISO seconds fraction separator

At 6:06 PM +0100 041104, Daniel Vogelheim wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Regarding dateTime (and similar time types):
>
>ISO 8601 specifies that seconds and fractions of seconds are to be
>separated by a comma or a dot, with comma being preferred. The XML
>Schema data type 'dateTime' allows only the dot. This difference is
>a bit of a nuisance when validating ISO conforming date-time values
>with second fractions. Is this deliberate, or could this be
>considered an errata?

I believe it was deliberate.  Schema is more concerned with "everyone
does it the same way" than ISO was; whether they should have locked
in to use only comma rather than period could perhaps be debated.

There are many ISO formats that are not allowed in Schema date/time
lexical representations; this is just one of many.

(Speaking for myself, not for the Schema WG.)
--
Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@iit.edu