Re: XML Schema XPath subset: NCName:*

"Michael Kay" <mhk@mhk.me.uk> writes:

> In section 3.11.6 of XML Schema Part 1, the production rule is given:
>
> [4]  NameTest ::= QName | '*' | NCName ':' '*'
>
> This creates the impression that spaces are allowed either side of the
> ":" in NCName:*, and some schema processors (e.g. Xerces) appear to
> allow such spaces.

As published, the REC doesn't allow any whitespace _at all_ in
patterns, per the XML 1.0 interpretation of EBNF.

Following a comment [1], an erratum [2] was issued clarifying that
whitespace was allowed as per XPath 1.0.  This clarification does not
allow whitespace between the tokens of a NameTest.

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xmlschema-rec-comments.html#pfiIdConstrWhiteSp
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xmlschema-errata#e1-6
                     Half-time member of W3C Team