From: Henry S. Thompson [mailto:ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 2:30 PM
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Subject: pattern and union types

Is it clear what string the pattern facet of a union type applies to?

Seems to me it should be the lexical space value of the winning type
in the union, i.e. when processing an item with a union type, we go
directly to the member type definitions, and for each one in turn:

 1) normalize per the whiteSpace facet _of that member type defn_;
 2) check the pattern facet of the union type itself;
 3) check the pattern facet of the member type defn;
 4) convert to value and check other facets from the member type defn.

If any of (2), (3) or (4) fail, go on to the next member type defn.

I don't think the REC as it currently stands makes clear that this is
what happens, or that it doesn't, but I'm tired and could be missing
something.

ht
--
  Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of
Edinburgh