From: Milan Trninic [mailto:mtrninic@galdosinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 6 November 2002 12:58 AM
To: Henry S. Thompson
Cc: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org; xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of the import statement?

Henry et al,

I have tried to capture my problem in a gif drawing. I hope it goes through.
The explanation follows:

So there are various schema sets, each controlled by a different authority.
There is base, transportation, environment, location, and presumably large
number of other application specific sets.

Now look at the Transportation - Base dependencies. There are two imports
that import two modules from the base set of schemas. This will not work.
What transportation folks need is another stub schema in the base set that
will include the two they require. But the problem is they do not controll
the base set. So they cannot do it. The only way out is that people that
created the base set created at the very beggining the stub schema that
includes ALL schemas from the set. That would be useful for others. But
importing all definitions when you don't need all si not the best option.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards

Milan
Milan Trninic
Senior Software Engineer
tel: 1 604 484-2764, 484-2750
mtrninic@galdosinc.com
Galdos Systems IncT http://www.galdosinc.com
Privileged or confidential information may be contained in this message. If
this message was not intended for you, destroy it and notify us immediately.
Opinions, conclusions, recommendations, and other information presented in
this message are not given or necessarily endorsed by my employer or firm.