From: Ed Shaya [mailto:eshaya@katherine.physics.umd.edu]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 8:38 AM
To: www-xml-schema-comments@w3.org
Subject: Ambiguity in Lists

Sirs:

        I wish to point out that the Schema Part 2 description of lists
datatypes does
not specify what happens in the circumstance that the atomic components
are
strings of a specified length (via a restriction of length="8", say) and
some of
these have spaces within them.  Are parsers required to return these
atomic
components intact within a list?  Do validators count them as a single
atom?  If
so, it will requires extra complexity in the parser/validator to first
locate
PROPER S boundaries between proper atomic units before counting atomic
units or
parsing them.  If not, then one looses an important functionality of
lists.

Ed Shaya
Chief Scientist
Astronomical Data Center/NASA