Re: Formal Description comments

"Fuchs, Matthew" wrote:

> > 4. How are substitution groups handled?
> >

> Substitution groups are just the element inheritance hierarchy.

I don't understand. Could you explain further?  Are you saying that
substitution groups are already handled by the current XSFD WD?

> > 7. I would suggest using * instead of *:* for consistency with XPath.
> >

> In wildcards?  The issue is a consistent notation for:
> 1) any namespace, any local name
> 2) any namespace, fixed local name
> 3) fixed namespace, any local name
> 4) fixed namespace, fixed local name
> *:* is certainly more internally consistent.  I would normally find
> consistency with XPath to be a compelling counter argument, but in this case
> the rest of the syntax for expressing wildcards is so un-XPath that I'm not
> sure anything would be gained.  My coeditors may feel otherwise.

I don't think the design you have is any more consistent than XPath.
It's not simply a matter of

 fixed v any namespace

and

 fixed v any local name

there's also the distinction between a null/absent and a non-null/absent
namespace. (I think you need this distinction for ##other in
anyAttribute as of the PR.) There aren't enough ways of combining "*"
and ":" to handle all of these combinations.  *:* doesn't seem very
appropriate to match a name with an absent namespace URI.  The XPath
usage of * is consistent with the intuition that * matches one or more
characters of the QName, but there's no QName of the form *:* that
expaned to a name with an absent namespace URI.

James