Re: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

----- Original Message -----
From: "Champion, Mike" <Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com>
To: <www-xml-query-comments@w3.org>; <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 2:23 PM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

> Strong typing - There is a real-world use case for ensuring that queries
> return schema-valid results, for example ensuring that they can be displayed
> in valid XHTML.  (Whether anyone outside the W3C cares about schema-valid
> XHTML is another matter, but it is a "real world" example that I'm sure has
> counterparts with more data-oriented schemas in the REAL real world).  Doing
> this is a hard, but solveable problem, and solving it requires that XPath
> 2.0 and XQuery be designed as a unit, even if they are layered once
> everything is done.  Thus, "declaring victory" on XPath 2.0 without solving
> this problem is essentially declaring defeat on some matters near and dear
> to XQuery, since it is very unlikely that they could be solved in XQuery
> without changing XPath.

I'm still waiting for someone with a theoretical background to debunk the
statements in the paper "On Database Theory and XML"[0] that it is is an
unsolvable problem to guarantee that one can create a query that for any given
XML input will generate output that conforms to a specified XML schema.

[0] http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/suciu/files/_F2066943700.ps

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #35
I will not grow a goatee. In the old days they made you look diabolic. Now