RE: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

Microsoft's
> implementation  hits the market? Since Software AG is implementing XQuery,

> don't we want to  be implementing something that conforms to an existing
standard?

I want standards to be based on real-world experience, and for companies to
support standards when they deserve the name.  Also, recall that I think
that XPath 2.0 is ultra high priority for the W3C, the vendors, and is what
the users are clamoring for.  It's the additional features that XQuery adds,
especially strong typing and constructors, that are generating the pushback
on this list.

> The XQuery WG was chartered in 1999. It really does need to
> be able to  complete a 1.0 specification at some point.

Tim Bray had a memorable quote that I've forgotten <grin>, something to the
effect that the hardest thing for a WG to learn is when to declare victory.
XPath 2.0 is a VICTORY!! Proclaim it to the world! It hits the 80:20 point
in the XQuery requirements! Ship it!

XQuery can solve the rest of the world's problems in the fullness of time.

> What exactly are you asking us to get right?

You're getting lots of pushback on a few of the more advanced features of
the XQuery specs, and the rather complex relationship between XSLT and
XQuery. I have no particular opinion on the issues being pushed back, but I
think they deserve more thorough consideration than "we can't think about
alternatives because we gotta ship". I'm suggesting you decouple the
components, ship what is solid (XPath 2.0, IMHO) and sort out the harder
stuff on its own schedule.

You folks are producing a fine meal, don't serve all the dishes at once! If
XPath 2.0 comes out soon, the world will give you a year or two while it
digests that course before clamoring for the next.   Especially since the
world is still digesting W3C XSD, now would be a bad time to serve the
dishes that build on the XSD types and PSVI.  Declare victory, one dish at a
time, and the XML world will savor your creation.  Put it all in front of us
at once, and there's gonna be a food fight. <sorry!>