Re: [xml-dev] The use of XML syntax in XML Query

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> You just convinced me that David is absolutely 100% right. That is so
> ugly and so horribly confusing to users, that I can't possibly see
> accepting it. If a legal XQuery can't be pasted straight into an XML
> document without escaping all the left angle brackets or wrapping it
> in a CDATA section, then this format isn't going to fly. 50% XML, 50%
> meat by-product XQuery is not healthy. It will confuse users and
> developers.

Why is XQuery sacrosanct in this respect? You can't paste code or SQL
statements into an XML document without escaping stuff, so why should
XQuery be any different? The point of the XQuery surface syntax is to
provide an easily readable format for querying XML documents. It does
this. If you want an XML format of an XQuery statement that you can cut
and paste, use XQueryX.

-- Ron