Re: [discuss] Re: [openoffice] binary objects in XML files

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 12:52:01AM +1300, David Mohring wrote:

> > > Well, sure... but will they be able to format it or extract the
> > > pictures?
> >
> > No, that would have to be left to the application.
>
> But it could still be part of the W3.org future standard
> See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-packaging/

  It's not scheduled yet. this list was there partly to gauge interest
and as you can see there wasn't much except the initial announcement.
This is a public list (which I'm maintaining) feel free to subscribe
and get this debate done there or continue on this list.

  My own point of view is that:
    - if you include the BLOB within XML then you will face some
      technical difficulties
    - it's better to use external entities for this (very few people
      seems to understand XML Notations
      http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#Notations )
    - the way to shrinkwrap everything into a simple file is better
      left to something else (KDE seems to use tar.gz, I do suggest
      ZIP since one can seek into a ZIP archive)
    - Metadata information could be kept as a entry in the ZIP like
      in the JAR format except that I would use an XML syntax to
      store those metadata

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux XML libxml WWW