Re: Packaging? - Oh you mean Compound documents

At 07:41 PM 7/28/00 +1200, David Mohring wrote:
>I suggested using the zip ( or now java jar ) file format some time ago.
>
>http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/199902/msg00101.html

I'm not sure that packaging will always involve delivering every document
described, so I'm not sure that a zip/jar format makes sense in general.

A non-validating parser might be interested to know some details about a
document, for instance, but might not care to download every related document.

Also, parsers tend to process more than one document of a particular type,
making caching potentially a more useful strategy than combination and
compression.

Simon St.Laurent