Re: xml:base

From: Brett Zamir <brettz9@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:12:02 +0800
To: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
CC: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
Richard Tobin wrote:
> Can you let us know whether you accept our response to your
> comment on the XML Base PER:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2008JulSep/0005.html

I see (responding to your point about it not being related to ancestor
elements). But I was trying to find somewhere where the issue was made
explicit as to how xml:base is not only based on the parent, since there
are these following lines (and basically only these lines on the topic)
which only refer to "parent element" and not clearly to an indefinite
number of levels of inheritance of within the document (and regardless
of whether xml:base was explicitly present on the parent or not, etc.):

"The base URI of an element is...the base URI of the element's parent
element within the document or external entity, if one exists..."

"The base URI for a URI reference appearing in an |xml:base| attribute
is the base URI of the parent element of the element bearing the
|xml:base| attribute, if one exists within the document entity or
external entity, otherwise the base URI of the document entity or
external entity containing the element."

Maybe that is made clear in other referenced specs, but since this seems
to be such a central point of the spec, I would think clarifying that
would be helpful.

thank you,
Brett