Re: externally-determined ID implementation experience?

Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> writes:

> I just discovered
>
> "[Definition: An externally-determined ID is a string, representing an
> element identifier, whose value is determined by the application through
> mechanisms outside the scope of this specification.]"
> -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xptr-framework-20030325/#term-xdi
>
> I'd like to know about some examples that motivated
> that feature.

xml:id was already looming over the horizon at this point.

Also, strictly speaking an HTML app processing an XHTML document w/o a
DTD uses this clause

> Could you point me to an item in a test suite or an
> implementation report or whatever where implementation
> experience with this feature was demonstrated?

I'm not aware of any beyond XHTML-enabled browsers, see above.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk